Antioch Historical Museum
The Antioch Historical Society has quite a history! Today’s museum was the first high school constructed in Contra Costa County. Supported by the Woman’s Club of Antioch, the first joint communities bond was passed in 1908 for $20,000 by Antioch, Pittsburg, Somersville, Nortonville, and Live Oak School Districts.
Charles Appleton Hooper donated unincorporated land for the school. The election of April 1, 1910, approved the site and elected all new Antioch trustees. Construction began in September 1910 and the school was opened November 4, 1911. Antioch and Pittsburg dissolved the Union District in 1925. The last Antioch class graduated from Riverview Union High School in 1931.
The Antioch Historical Society registered this site with the National Register of Historical Places on October 14, 1998. This historic building became the home of the Antioch Historical Society Museum following its purchase in 1999.
Antioch Historical Society
1500 W. Fourth Street
Antioch, CA 94509
Image courtesy of Design Media.